Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday Thoughts

Ahhh.....I love, love, love the first Monday morning at home after a long road trip. I lounge in bed as long as I can, watching the news, surfing the internet, reading the Chronicle while sipping green tea. I purposely don't plan much for the day so that I can piddle around the house and just enjoy being home. Usually one of my cats is laying next to me, purring that loud amazing song only cats can. Hmm, should I get up and eat, or maybe I'll just remain here and look back on the week's golf highlights:

-Because I was there, my main thoughts are of the US Girls Junior Championship at Country Club of North Carolina in Pinehurst. Surviving 36 holes of stroke play and 5 rounds of matches, Doris Chen and Katelyn Dambaugh were troopers playing each other in a 36 hole final. They did all this, mind you, in 99 degree humid, oppressive heat! No wonder they were semi catatonic at the end. Doris prevailed down the last 9 holes w/ birdies on two of their last 3 holes, winning 3 &2 . Doris is a stoic, unemotional (at least outwardly), consistent, straight hitting putting machine. Her consistency outdid Katelyn's naturally athletic, long hitting, emotional game. Each were very different in their approach to the game and their journey to this Championship. In the end we were treated to a wonderful match and a glimpse of the future talent of this game.

Two other girls made me look twice--Stephanie Liu who just turned 13 and stands nearly 6 feet tall is going to be a force in the near future. She has a beautiful swing, strength and a maturity that belies her age. She and her 2 brothers are Chinese/Canadian Americans. What?? A very interesting mixed race amazing talent. Look for Stephanie. The other player is Megan Khang who is all of 12 years old from Massachusetts. She not only made match play, but won her first match and took her second opponent, Cali Hipp, to extra holes after birdieing the last 3 holes in a row. She is articulate, cute as a button and just out to try and play her best! Love it!

-Congratulations to Jiyai Shin for winning the Evian Masters. Her nickname, appropriately, is chalk line (always hits the dead center of the fairway) and more importantly Final Round Queen! Jiyai played a brilliant back nine (-2) and took the Evian away from Morgan Pressel who shot +1 on the second nine. Huge congrats to Lexi Thompson who tied for second in her 3rd event as a pro and took home $242,711. Nice chunk of change and a statement to all that she appears to be the real deal!

-Way to go DJ Brigman in winning the Nationwide's event at the venerable Ohio State Univ Scarlett Course shooting a stellar 64 to win by one. This win takes DJ from #47 on the money list to #6 and basically assures him of getting his PGA Tour card for 2011.

-Langer wins British Senior. Great player, but it doesn't move me at all. Would liked to have seen fellow Bruin and Ryder Cup cap't Corey get the win!

-Pettersson's win was amazing considering he barely made the cut, then shot 60 on Saturday to put him in position to get it done on Sunday. Now there's a good lesson to grind all day Friday b/c you don't know what may transpire on the weekend.

Well, I suppose I'll get my butt out of bed and do a little laundry and put away the suitcase for two weeks. Now, that is music to my ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment